user_mobilelogo
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This is a public forum thread open to all users
  • Page:

TOPIC:

electronic distributor 10 months 3 weeks ago #40858

I have replaced my points Marelli system with an electronic one from Vic Auto parts in Texas. It came quickly and works well. He suggested a better Bosch
coil a high power orange labelled one that i got on eBay here.
It has a vacuum advance which i connected to the vacuum going from the carb to the air filter, its function eludes me.
fitting the distributor was straight forward and getting the car to run well was easy.
The hard part was getting the access cover to fit.
Eventually I had to cut off all the pressed lip, then it went in fine. I had knocked the captive bolts out to gain more space in fitting and JB Welded broad based nuts on to the back of the plate. I used draught sealer for a seal around it.
I had tried mounting the access plate on the inside of the car for space but then the spare wheel would not fit, it has to be in the engine bay.
As always the easy part was the hardest.
I took the old distributor to bits hoping to repair it. I don't think you can without a lathe.
The shaft is worn at the top, I think because of poor lubrication. I put the shaft up to a straight edge and saw daylight at the top. You can see the spalling in the photo. The shaft had congealed gunk halfway down that made its removal a soft hammer job, I think that build up stopped any lubrication of the top of the shaft that was possible.
The distributor was 105 dollars plus shipping which is way cheaper than Henk or the other electronic systems.
I hope this helps. now to sort out the starter.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

electronic distributor 10 months 3 weeks ago #40859

What’s up with the stater ?

electronic distributor 10 months 3 weeks ago #40860

Occasionally it just clicks when I turn the key, I think it may be connections so i am cleaning the earth strap this morning.

electronic distributor 10 months 3 weeks ago #40863

Earth strap - I sourced a new one from Claire at Eurosport.
Gotta say this is a lovely heavy copper strap, beautifully made and wasn't expensive.

electronic distributor 10 months 2 weeks ago #40872

• Ro
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Alan

where is this strap please? the only one i can immediately see in the engine bay is near the gearbox. If you can post pics wonderful! I am really pleased with Claire's help too. recommended!!

cheers

RDS

electronic distributor 10 months 2 weeks ago #40874

That's the one. Quite short, from gearbox to rear of car. I took it off, gave it, the bolts and everything else a good clean and wire brush. Reassembled with a little copperslip, no more problem. A pleasant job.
The car is running very well, "touch wood". It idles sooner without choke, picks up better and seems to run smoother. you can get the distributor off ebay, it is the Fiat Uno 1.1 electronic but it needs a different cap, the sideways one.

electronic distributor 10 months 2 weeks ago #40875

• Ro
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
thanks Dave, i did the same in the quest to make the thing run properly too.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.096 seconds