user_mobilelogo
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This is a public forum thread open to all users
  • Page:

TOPIC: Bleeding Clutch

Bleeding Clutch 4 months 1 week ago #41090

Has anyone had previous difficulty bleeding the clutch system on an X1/9?

Most of my components are new - master and slave cylinders, slave hose, slave release spring and a 3-piece clutch. My lines are wholly un-corroded and like new.

My clutch pedal pressure was virtually non-existent so I thought I'd bleed the system to clear any air that might be trapped. I took all the normal measures such as ensuring the reservoir was filled and a tube and bottle on the bleed nipple to prevent air entering at that point. On bleeding, fluid did come from the slave cylinder but only very slowly i.e. oozing as opposed to a reassuring squirt/blast and no air came out, just fluid.

Now there's no pedal pressure at all and however much I try to bleed the system, it won't build pressure. I don't think there's a leak anywhere as the reservoir level is only dropping at the rate associated with the aforementioned ooze at the slave cylinder. The master cylinder is showing no sign of leaking or compromise.

Just a thought. The master and slave cylinders on an X1/9 are about the same height as each other and I was wondering if jacking up the rear of the car might assist any stubborn air trapped to travel towards the slave cylinder and out of the system when bled?

Any other comments or tips would be appreciated.

Frustrating!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Bleeding Clutch 4 months 1 week ago #41091

It's always worth using a pressure bleeder, even one of the relatively cheap ones from Halfords, which take pressure from a tyre, produce enough force to push any air through that might be there.
If as you say everything is new, then the dribble of fluid IS probably due to air in the system, taking up the pedal pressure.
Hope you get it sorted.

Bleeding Clutch 4 months 1 week ago #41092

Ooze shouldn't be there. Is the clutch reservoir still have liquid in? it sounds like it needs a flush. Water could have been in the fluid. I use silicon fluid in my car that is not hygroscopic but a good flush with dot 4 would help.
When I did mine I found that when air was in the system holding the peddle down for a while helped squeeze more fluid out as air is compressible.
Two people are better for the job if possible. A nice brass bleed nipple for the slave cylinder is good.

Bleeding Clutch 4 months 1 week ago #41093

pressure bleeders are good but not the gunston one I tried, it just shot dot 4 all over the paintwork, very hard to get a good seal on the reservoir.

Bleeding Clutch 4 months 1 week ago #41094

Agree with David's comments. 2 people are better for doing this job. It is worth working the clutch peddle to try and move on any air pockets that may be lurking there.
However, I have found that by wedging the slave cylinder open it releases air pockets at that end and you then get resistance in the pedal.
This has worked on a number of occasions for me.

Good luck

Andy
Blue Gran Finale F100FAW
As seen in Classic & Sports car....
As seen in Auto Italia.....
As seen on Fifth Gear....!!!!
Lido ALF 704S

Bleeding Clutch 4 months 1 week ago #41095

Very simple fix. Grab a 13mm brake spanner on the feed for the clutch master cylinder and bleed it from there first. Makes the world of difference
1986 'BAD' Turbo Bertone X1/9
1977 1300 Special Series
1999 Toyota MR2 3.0 V6 vvti daily driver

Bleeding Clutch 4 months 1 week ago #41096

Thanks everyone, lots of good suggestions. I tried your suggestion Rob (full of hope) but it made no difference.

So I shall get it pressure bled. The local garage has just bought one so I'll be taking it down there next week. I wish them luck!!

Bleeding Clutch 4 months 1 week ago #41097

Hi Mike, so on the master cylinder end - (the clutch pipe outlet) do you just get fluid coming out - no crackle of air when you bleed it?
1986 'BAD' Turbo Bertone X1/9
1977 1300 Special Series
1999 Toyota MR2 3.0 V6 vvti daily driver

Bleeding Clutch 4 months 6 days ago #41104

I had the slave and master cylinders replaced last year. It did take a long time and many presses of the clutch pedal to get a good fountain of fluid out of the bleed nipple.
1989 SE in mica blue
1985 Citroën 2cv6
1994 Mercedes Benz E320 coupé
Attachments:

Bleeding Clutch 4 months 6 days ago #41105

Another thing I did when I bled my clutch was to use a big, BIG, plastic syringe at the slave cylinder end to suck fluid through. Clear tube from the syringe to the bleed screw, open it, fill up the syringe by sucking, tighten the screw and repeat till a good flow of fluid. Made sure I kept the reservoir topped up.
Final bleed with the pedal the traditional way with a jam jar.

Bleeding Clutch 4 months 4 days ago #41106

Hi Rob, I didn't crack that connection open. I considered it but it was so cramped in there. There was no sound in that area when I pumped the pedal.
Thanks
Mike

Bleeding Clutch 4 months 4 days ago #41107

I considered this David as I too have a big syringe! The car is back in the garage and has been for three days. I haven't heard anything from them and I feel they may be struggling. It's a bit of a sorry tale. I put the car in to get the brake master cylinder changed and while doing that job, they put a new clutch master on as well....seeing they're mounted on the same rod. The clutch was absolutely fine before this so the onus is on them to sort it for me.....'if it ain't bust, don't try and fix it' should have applied!!

Bleeding Clutch 4 months 3 days ago #41108

Car is back from the garage and the clutch is bled although they said it was difficult even with a pressure bleeder.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.165 seconds