user_mobilelogo
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This is a public forum thread open to all users
  • Page:

TOPIC:

running better, now elec fault! 3 years 9 months ago #37352

Andy Rowley wrote: Check the earth points as well. There is an earth strap between the gear box and the bodywork.
Check the condition of it and if it looks a bit dodgy replace it. They are not expensive.

trying to locate this bit... :-)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

running better, now elec fault! 3 years 8 months ago #37358

Hey guys,can anyone show me a pic of how their condenser is attached please? I have just noticed mine is attached to squat but the bulkhead!

hmmm, confuzzled! 3 years 8 months ago #37365

sooo update on the x! firslty the alternator. Now i went and had it tested at the local citroen garage (nice of a main dealer to do a freebie for a few mins and stop for a chat!) and the alt was at 14v as indeed was the battery and the guy said all working. now, this could mean the alt is intermittently failing i guess, which will be a pita... however i am hoping it was something ridiculously simple, feel free to correct me though! just before i went to the garage i found the copper earth strap that attaches fromth ealterntor to the body work, and to my eyes it was maybe 20-30mm too long, as it was doubled back in on itself and back againts the alternator. now would this short it out?? as i undid it, moved it away so it wasnt touching the alt bar where its supposed too and obv we got a good reading... hmm! gonna test again perhaps, may have to invest in a voltmeter!

next thing is the condenser. now yesterday i spotted that their was a condenser (or what my novice eyes see as one!) attached to the bulkhead but nowt else. however there is a condenser attched to the side of the dizzy!

thirdly is the coil. she has alwaysd had a missfire that i have been trying to figure out, now when i was exploring this errant condenser i noticed that the green lead (that i assume attaches) to the coil was floating about of its own volition (top right of coil if looking directly down at the top?) attached with what i could find (typically no clips of elec tape to hand...) used some ol;d tape that was on a socket ite but is holding for now and i woo no misfire! still took third key turn to start though but hey ho. photos to follow!

hmmm, confuzzled! 3 years 8 months ago #37372

Hi Chris,

A picture below of my coil and condensor set up. This is as original.

Sorry the picture isn't better, it was taken with the flash in poor light.

Attachment DSCF5405.JPG not found

Blue Gran Finale F100FAW
As seen in Classic & Sports car....
As seen in Auto Italia.....
As seen on Fifth Gear....!!!!
Lido ALF 704S
Attachments:

hmmm, confuzzled! 3 years 8 months ago #37373

Also, a couple of pictures o where my earth strap is.

The first one is looking down from the expansion tank and the strap is hidden by the exhaust mount bracket. The second picture is taken looking on the gear box from the near side rear wheel, and shows the strap from the gear box to the bodywork.

Attachment DSCF5408.JPG not found

Attachment DSCF5411.JPG not found

Blue Gran Finale F100FAW
Lido ALF 704S
Attachments:

Last edit: by Andy Rowley.

hmmm, confuzzled! 3 years 8 months ago #37376

Cheers Andy! I must admit to being more confused than ever now though... I have an earth strap directly from alternator to the bodywork, and although I have that condenser I have what appears to be another directly on the side of the dizzy? And my coil has four wires coming out of the top of it? Will look BBC or the earth strap there tomorrow though too.

hmmm, confuzzled! 3 years 8 months ago #37379

Assuming you still have a standard ignition system, the condenser on the side of the dizzy is the vital one, it's part of what makes the sparks.

I believe the one on the coil is there to reduce interference to radio reception. The car should run without it.

Last edit: by Pete Pearson.

running better, now elec fault! 3 years 8 months ago #37385

So.. ran out of electricity en route to the pub meet... grrrr! Got towed home on flatbed, good local service! However went to jump her off ny mondeo for the hundred yard drive to my space, for idle chance I trued her and she fired up sttaight away. So, HELP!!! I am aure I chwckes the earth, perhaps intermittent alt?eitherway I guess full on investigation to be done. Amyone got a spare alternator for sale?!? :-P

running better, now elec fault! 3 years 8 months ago #37386

Perhaps the alt cant handle elec fuel pump?

running better, now elec fault! 3 years 8 months ago #37395

The fact that it runs okay then suddenly stops suggest an intermittent ignition/electrical fault, such faults can be hard to track down. None of the components are expensive in the standard ignition set up and so I would recommend a process of elimination by going through and changing components (coil, points, plugs, condensor leads, etc and at each stage see if that cures the problem.
My last competition outing was a disaster due to ignition failure and it turned out to be, after a lot of head scratching, to be a fault on a multiconnector on the coil (I run a different system to standard) that tested okay with a multimeter but obviously had some continuity problems . Remember the wiring and connectors could be 30+ years old and so if in doubt replace the connections with new ones.
A Haynes manual (for the wiring diagram) and a multimeter are essential for such investigations

running better, now elec fault! 3 years 8 months ago #37397

If you go to the X1/9 info on the top menu bar, there is a section "technical information (members)", click on that and you will find an article with all the wiring diagrams for the different ages of X1/9. Very useful.
Blue Gran Finale F100FAW
Lido ALF 704S

hmmm, progress! 3 years 7 months ago #37473

So! a few jobs have been undertaken recently.... checked cleaned and re-tightened all electrical connections i could find, and hey presto! electricity!!! these elec connections included the mysetrious green wire that a mate of mine hypothesised attaches to the coil as one of four, once clamped firmly inplace h was electrically very happy! voltage checks out (and checked constantly for an hour or so!) at alt and battery, woo! and i have dashboard backlights now too.so seems it was just poor coonections! (crosses fingers/touches wood!)

however, still was cutting out so carb jets cleaned and the amoun of crud in the acceleration jet, well, lots! my mate also said that he thought a fuel line was on the wrong way?? not sure about that but swapped around anyway. and she runs happily! have completed 7 test runs, inc a decent drive around some nice twisty bits of the cotswolds... lovely! B) :cheer: and driving here to work immproves my mood when there for sure!

still a fair few bits though, some rust spots i want to get at before they become an issue (around aerial and top of screen) and the carb will be overhauled soon, as she stays at high revs when cold before settling down, and has run a bit rich once or twice but only when cold. could be choke sticking i guess tho? also, with wimndows right up shutting the doors is tricky, design of too high up i wonder! oh and if anyone has some spare natural finish bumpers around i could be interested in aquiring some! anyhow, fab car!

hmmm, progress! 3 years 7 months ago #37474

Sounds positive at the moment! Keep us updated how it goes, I have a similar problem with cutouts at random intervals and am rapidly running out of things to replace!

hmmm, progress! 3 years 7 months ago #37475

The answer to the doors is '...they all do that sir' You have to have the windows down a bit to close and then put them right up if your on the inside. If you are on the outside you can leave them down an even smaller amount and still keep out the weather, but not easy to get right with electric windows. My car had the edge of the seal attached to the roof trimmed to allow easier closing with the windows up, not really what you'd want to do.
I take it your car is still on the automatic choke? These are notorious for problems due to crud in the waterways, lazy internal components, sticking, incorrect adjustment, etc. Replace if in doubt with a new component, or if feeling adventurous change to a manual choke.
Now you know what caused the issues it would be worth it, when you get a chance, to go through the fuel system again to check if the cause of the crud has been eliminated. The contents of a in line filter will tell you a lot, worth changing regularly and cutting open to have a look.
I might have some bumpers but not sure what you mean by a natural finish?
I got some good advice of club members (sorry I can't remember who) regarding rust proofing such as where to drill holes to inject rust proofing materials, one of those spots was on the window surround

hmmm, progress! 3 years 7 months ago #37489

Ha, 'they all do that' is what my esteemed mother said as well! I seem to have the driver's wibdow up just so, and as it was a bit reluctant to go all the way up the other day I'm going to leave it as it is for now :-) esp not keen on fiddling with the passenger window as some c@#t has already been at the window top with a screwdriver.

You are quite right I am still on the auto choke, the flat was definitely sticking when I qas setting the engine up.. I have looked on ebay and am thinking of getting this which I hope will do the trick, though a manual choke conversion may be a future idea, how tricky is it? Will definitely change the inline filter too.
Bumper wise I meant the silvercoloured ones, not the black colour coded ones :-)
I will look for some advice there then, I certainly wont be rushing in without any! Tho as I wont be using the radio I think I will remove the aerial as that should he easy to plate over. Cheers, chris

• Page:
Time to create page: 2.331 seconds