user_mobilelogo
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This is a public forum thread open to all users
  • Page:

TOPIC: Why are there so many X1/9s for sale?

Why are there so many X1/9s for sale? 1 year 9 months ago #39985

• JB
  • JB's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
I see there are over 20 X1/9s on the Car and Classic website, most have been there for months.
Is it quite simply down to the price owners and dealers are asking or is it still because X1/9s still aren’t everyone’s cup of tea.
There is one currently for sale that I’d like to have in my collection but it’s been for sale now for over 12 months and it worries me that if I pay the dealers high asking price, if I come to sell it I’ll loose money on it.
Same on Ebay, you see the same X1/9 over and over again.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Why are there so many X1/9s for sale? 1 year 9 months ago #39986

Seems to be the result of the high ‘advertised’ prices...unrealistic as classic fiats are still untrusted in this country...they rarely seem to actually achieve these prices
Strike 2....strike one for resto

Why are there so many X1/9s for sale? 1 year 9 months ago #39987

• JB
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
You may be right.
Just because a couple have sold at auction for strong prices it seems as though everyone thinks there is worth that amount.
The VS I’m keeping my eye on was sold for £5000 last year, weeks later it was up for £7500, then a dealer had it up for £13995. It currently sits at £9995 but the dealer says he will take £8500 even though it’s been for sale for over a year now.
Lots of Gran Finales for sale, hardly any with the original alcantara seats yet still up at more than concours prices.
Very strange.

Why are there so many X1/9s for sale? 1 year 9 months ago #39988

well some people are delusional when it comes to the asking price of their car, and a cheeky 2nd/hand car salesman will try his/her luck at an inflated price, there may be just one fool out there willing to pay that price. IMO, the X1/9 has always been a hidden gem, gets passed over very quickly because an MR2 is quicker etc, etc, etc. We are the wise ones, we actually looked at one in the flesh and took one for a test drive, once thats done - hook, line, sinker. As you say, not their cup of tea - but only because they have never driven one.

If the car aint moving from the forecourt , go in with a ridiculously low price, actually insult them, afterall, they are insulting us with stupid rocket high prices, taking our hard earned cash when a car aint worth that price on the current market. If they still dont play realistically, then walk away, no point being mugged, the one that got away

Why are there so many X1/9s for sale? 1 year 9 months ago #39989

• JB
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Just near me in the North East of England there’s three X1/9s for sale, one is up at £14,995, one at £13,995 and one at £9,995........all in great condition but nothing really specially about them.
Those prices are London/Goodwood prices not ‘up North’ prices.
I bet 12 months on from now they are all still for sale!

Why are there so many X1/9s for sale? 1 year 9 months ago #39992

Mate had an MR2, very tail happy in the wet, way more so than an exxie!
I watched an early X1/9 at auction, it didn’t meet the reserve, a deal was made and it was sold...the auction house however, quoted that it sold at the 11k even though it only made £7550...so what the ‘deal’ was is anybody’s guess
Strike 2....strike one for resto

Last edit: by Nina Baptiste. Reason: Spelling

Why are there so many X1/9s for sale? 1 year 9 months ago #39995

• JB
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
3 X1/9s were auctioned last month and none met their reserves.
One VS only brought £2700.
I see the same old ones for sale over and over again, a lot being sold by dealers hoping to make a killing.

Why are there so many X1/9s for sale? 1 year 9 months ago #39996

car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for, I paid £2600 for mine a year ago (88 SE - sold as VG condition, honest appraisal after I bought it - ok to good condition, if you know what i mean, certainly not very good condition), and even at that, I think i paid 200 to 400 over. Cant believe i just said that, please don't mention that in front of my car, I tell her she is worth a million pounds every day. As much as I love the X's and want them to go up in price, I just cannot see anyone sensible paying the figures mentioned, regardless if your north or south of Watford Gap. Exception only to a collectors car with 150 miles on the clock

Last edit: by Stuart Parker.

Why are there so many X1/9s for sale? 1 year 9 months ago #39998

• JB
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
The thing I can’t understand is that a lot of the X1/9s for sale have been listed for well over a year yet the asking price has stayed the same. Surely after 12 months you realise that you aren’t going to get the asking price and reduce it accordingly.
As much as I want to buy my 4th X1/9 I’m just not prepared to pay some of these ridiculous prices.
There was an absolute belter near me recently, albeit not the VS that I’m after, only made £3200 on EBay.
There is a VS for sale at the minute that would suit me, I had agreed to buy it but the owners nephew got involved and decided he would sell it for more money. It sat for 8 months then cropped up at a dealer for double the price, so out of principle I’m not buying it now!

Last edit: by JB.

Why are there so many X1/9s for sale? 1 year 9 months ago #40010

• NRG
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 23
I admit to paying more than I should have for my ‘88 X, put it down to naivety! But the car was a single owner from new with good provenance. What I didn’t budget for was the amount of work, parts and love needed to get it into a condition I was happy with reversing years of neglect by the previous owner. Oh well you live and learn...one thing though I’m hooked, it’s my first X and I’m loving it. I had looked at some others before buying this one and agree above on the prices especially for none runners, I offered 1k for one up at 3.5k but the owner would rather let it sit and rot than sell it....a real shame. I believe the numbers left will drop dramatically over the next few years as there seems to be a lot of X’s about just on the edge of restoration/renovation viability with not enough buyers around to save them.

Last edit: by NRG.

Why are there so many X1/9s for sale? 1 year 9 months ago #40026

• JB
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
There are a fair few on eBay at the minute but even the cheaper ones aren’t selling so how on earth sellers think they can achieve these much higher prices is beyond me.

Why are there so many X1/9s for sale? 1 year 9 months ago #40031

Nearly every time I go out for a drive in my car men look, their heads revolve like they are on rubber, and ten to sixteen year olds wave and yell "what a great car". They know what's what. Mine is that Ferrari red and it does suit it. Wonder if red ones sell better than metallics and the rest?

Also, does any one else have a metallic rattle from their rear breaks, like loose change? They work fine and pass MOT's, I am going to rebuild them soon but is this just part of the design?

Why are there so many X1/9s for sale? 1 year 9 months ago #40050

The Black one with silver fibreglass 1300 bumpers went for £4200 on eBay, 4 or 5 different bidders at £3500+ so quite a good benchmark for a drivable Exxy with an MOT.
I went and had a look at it - it was pretty good, very individual.
There are several on the markets at £4 to £5k plus the ones at £8 to £10

Why are there so many X1/9s for sale? 1 year 9 months ago #40059

D reg VS type (scarlet over gloss black) with 70k miles made £3400 on "The Market" auction site. Nice resto with 12 months MOT.
More data to trend!

Why are there so many X1/9s for sale? 1 year 9 months ago #40063

Oo-er.

My (apparently) rust free genuine 46-something-whatevs thousand mile F reg 1500 (the dark mica blue) is only insured for £3000. Probably need to increase that. What would be a good figure assuming the above?
Cunnorum plena sunt omnia

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.095 seconds