user_mobilelogo
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This is a public forum thread open to all users
  • Page:

TOPIC: Instrument Lighting

Instrument Lighting 4 months 3 days ago #41109

So my EBay X1/9 is nearing the end of the 'jobs to do' list and I've a couple of minor issues left to sort, one of which is the instrument lighting which is feeble! I think the bulbs are rated 3w (according to my owners manual) and I was wondering if others have upgraded to a higher wattage, say 5w and whether this caused any problems? After this job I just have to adjust the headlights and give the electric windows some TLC....a clean and lubricate.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alan Hutton

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Instrument Lighting 4 months 3 days ago #41112

I guess 5watt bulbs may have a different fitting but even if they are the same, issue may be overheating and melting of the plastic.
LEDs are what I am looking to. I installed LED RGB tape inside but it was kinda fiddly to do and I am not happy with the results.
If you do find a solution, please share it as I will do if I take the pack out again.

Instrument Lighting 4 months 3 days ago #41114

Thanks Alan. Good point about the extra heat that would result. Is it the norm for the dash lighting to be so poor?I have to peer forward to make anything out. I might check the circuit and connections as a first step. Putting 5w in could cause a greater problem than the one I'm trying to solve!

Instrument Lighting 4 months 2 days ago #41115

Hi
I have 5w bulbs in mine, they have been fine and are a little brighter. I also removed the blue/green diffusers that cover each bulb and I am now able to read the instruments!

Cheers
Kev

Instrument Lighting 4 months 1 day ago #41118

Hi Kev, that's really helpful and the way forward. I'll give that a go.
Mike
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alan Hutton

Instrument Lighting 3 months 2 weeks ago #41138

An update on upgrading my instrument lights.

I just swapped out the four main 3w bulbs for 5w bulbs and it has made all the difference - I can now read the instruments clearly and without squinting and straining. I didn't bother removing the diffusers as I wanted to see if swapping the bulbs alone was sufficient - which it was.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kevin Bailey, Alan Hutton

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.079 seconds