user_mobilelogo
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This is a public forum thread open to all users
  • Page:

TOPIC:

What have you been doing on your X1/9 since lockdown? 3 months 1 week ago #42235

Just intercept the feed to the headlights in the headlight pods themselves and mount the relays there.

Had a look at the circuit diagram and I should be able to do it with one relay inside the car (remember it's a very late model so main beam is already via a relay, I think/hope, see below). Seems a grey/red (HR) wire travels from the column (dip) switch to the fuse box, where it feeds two fuses that lead to wires that each lead to a headlamp bulb, not passing trough any relays on the way. The other (non-earth) wire from the headlamp bulb goes via terminal 86 on the changeover relay (30 leads direct to the battery), so that must be main beam.

I'll check this out with a multimeter, so ensure the wire is live/dead with/without dipped beam on. If so I can divert the column switch side of the grey/red wire to the low current /coil side of an additional relay and feed a new 12 v source via the 30/87 side of the relay to the other side of the grey/red wire that goes through the original fuses.

I'd include an inline fuse on the new low-current side. The internets suggezst 5 A should be plenty and prbably below the existing wiring rating. Certainly way less than what the dipped beam circuit was putting through it.

Seems less wiring to do that way, preserving more of the original circuit, and no need to run new 12 v all the way to each headlamp..
Cunnorum plena sunt omnia

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

What have you been doing on your X1/9 since lockdown? 3 months 1 week ago #42237

• NRG
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 74
Ah ok, yes later cars are different, make sure the high current feed to the dip headlights is fused, not so important is the feed to the relay coil as the current draw is low and a short will blow the coil anyhow before a fuse has time to react…

Last edit: by NRG.

What have you been doing on your X1/9 since lockdown? 3 months 1 week ago #42239

Indeen Neal - the idea here is that the high current feed still goes via the original fuses, using the left hand (as you sit and look at it) half of the wire from the column switch to the fuse box moved to point 87 on the relay (30 is fed direct from the battery).

As in cut the grey/red wire and then...

Grey/red wire from column switch --> coil side of relay, then to earth (low current side)
Grey red wire from dipped beam fuses --> 87 on relay, fed direct from battery via 30 on relay (high current side, leads to headlamps from other side of fuses)

So the fuses work as they did before. In theory.
Cunnorum plena sunt omnia

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.055 seconds