TOPIC:

Auxiliary shaft seal 10 months 2 weeks ago #42350

• Martin
  • Martin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
1300 cc engine

I think the auxiliary shaft oil seal is leaking. Can this be changed with the engine in the car?

If anyone has done this any tips and guidance would be welcome.

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Auxiliary shaft seal 10 months 2 weeks ago #42351

• NRG
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 80
Yes it can be done, you are going to need a new cam belt and tensioner as well along with the seal and gasket. The hardest part will be undoing the 17mm bolt holding it on. It’s done up incredibly tight! You will need to stop the pulley from turning somehow, I used the existing cam belt, wrapped 270deg around the pully and anchored off on an exhaust stud with Mole grips. I also used the tensioner after to get that bit more tension in the belt.

You can’t get a socket on the bolt so have to use a spanner, I couldn’t get enough leverage so ended up buying an extra long aviation spanner. When you get the blot undone, undo the three small 10mm bolts holding the plate on and remove making sure the shaft doesn’t pull out, if it does there is a possibility of the fuel pump cam dropping off the shaft meaning you’ll have to remove the pump to get the shaft back in! Good luck!

Last edit: by NRG.

Auxiliary shaft seal 10 months 2 weeks ago #42353

You can feed rope into the combustion chamber through a spark plug hole when the piston is down, then turn the engine over to compress the rope. If you put enough in then the engine can't physically turn. Make sure you do it with both the valves shut (combustion stroke) or you risk bending a valve. There is a small risk of not being able to get the rope out again, to help prevent this use thinner good quality, braided type rope.

Auxiliary shaft seal 10 months 1 week ago #42354

• NRG
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 80
Having tried with the car in gear and handbrake on to stop the engine rotating I doubt that will work. The bolt is done up so tight the pulley will jump the belt. There is a Fiat locking tool but getting one and fitting it with the engine in the car would be near on impossible IMHO

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.097 seconds